Thursday, October 16, 2008

Parkview Nursing Home

What's going on with this?
When our group got back from LT this summer, one person (Brandon) talked to me about an idea he wanted to run with. He feels like there are mainly two groups of people that don't receive enough attention or get pushed aside: children and the elderly.

This vision was to visit a local nursing home every week to let them know people care about them and that they are not forgotten. We would talk to them and listen to their stories and our own as well.



We recently picked up some applications from Parkview to volunteer. We have each talked to our separate house churches to bring others into reaching out to the homes by volunteering and building relationships. Brandon and I turned in our applications today and since they were out of the TB testing kits, we will be going in tomorrow to get tested. We will have to go in again on Sunday for them to get the appropriate results from our hopefully TB (not Taco Bell) free bodies.

My thoughts
When he first talked to me about this idea at the beginning of school, I thought it was a great idea but I didn't know if I would have the time to do it. It has been a somewhat disconnected idea in my head. I have vaguely thought about how we would go in and hopefully be able to build relationships through talking and then to share our faith when the situation is there. Actually being there in the environment for a few minutes last week and this week as well has really opened up my mind to the environment in which we will be going. There are many opportunities for us to volunteer to help the staff there while building relationships with the staff and people living there as well. I think this can be a life-changing/enhancing experience for both us and everyone we run into while we are there. I want to take some time alone with God to talk about this opportunity and the potential impact on our and their lives. Most of the time I do not realize the impact that I can have on people by my attitude and actions. I will be posting more information on this after each visit to describe our time there.

0 comments: