Sunday, May 9, 2010

Hey, can you send me that picture?

A friend just asked me if I had a picture on my phone of an item, in order to show their grandma.  When asked, I responded 'nope don't have', because I assumed they were wanting me to send the picture from my phone to them at that moment. 

If I were to write this down in my journal and then someone (dubbed Person A) in the future came along and read it, they may say 'Oh look! Proof that he was lying and didn't want the other to see it!  He said that he didn't have the picture, but later on he emailed it to his friend, probably out of guilt for lying.  So he did have it!'
This is true, I DO have the picture within my email account.  My phone was low on space so I sent the picture to my email account and then deleted the picture on my phone.  My friend also knew that I wouldn't have access to the Internet until the next day, so effectively, I didn't have it (on me).



With this extra given backdrop to the story, does my journal seem less contradictory when contextualized?   

Perhaps Person B hears Person A...
...and says 'Oh no, you've got it wrong.  This man was not intentionally lying.  He didn't have the picture to send at the time so he responded with a quick 'nope don't have'.  If you take that statement literally, as you understand it, as he doesn't have it anywhere, then yes you may be onto something.  But the thing is, he intended to send it later, which is why he did so.  You are just looking at it from a cynical point of view.  He had good intentions and within the context that you don't seem to be aware about, it makes sense.'

How you approach and decipher the meaning of something can largely be influenced by a number of factors such as your culture, environment, perceptions, knowledge and understanding, and more.

This is true for anything in life whether it be friendships, learning in school, marriage, reading a text, or listening and engaging in a conversion.

How does 'who you are' flavor your perceptions and interpretations of life and the things surrounding you?

1 comments:

UnderEaglesWings said...

Whenever I'm communicating with someone, I try to keep in mind what the person I'm talking to is trying to convey. Sometimes even this method can get in the way! I think too much at times and I don't hear what's said! It can also easily lead to over-thinking!

Overall, I like to think at least that I keep in mind the context of the conversation, as well as what I know about the person I'm talking to.

This probably is not the best way to communicate to people, too many things going on in the mind and doesn't really allow to listen that well, (maybe that's why I like written communication so much!) but I'm a woman and that's how we roll!